An Indian man with suspected food poisoning was instead found to have around 15 pounds of various metal objects in his stomach.
Maksud Khan, 35, from Sohaval in Satna district in Madhya Pradesh, India, was admitted to the hospital on Nov. 18 complaining of abdominal pains.
Initially suspecting food poisoning, Dr. Priyank Sharma said they discovered the true cause of the man's discomfort after conducting an x-ray alongside other tests.
A group of surgeons led by Dr. Sharma was stunned to find 100 nails, 236 coins, shards of glass, stones, and a 6-inch piece of rusted iron shackle inside the man’s stomach.
Khan is believed to suffer from mental health problems and had not told his friends or family about his eating habits.
Dr. Sharma, who led the surgical team, told International Business Times: "The patient was complaining of stomach pain, so we thought of getting an endoscopy done."
"We were shocked to discover that coins, nails, and nut-bolts in his stomach. We come across such a case for the first in our career,” he added.
Surgeons said they were surprised the metal objects hadn't caused Khan discomfort sooner.
"The operation was done in the nick of the time as some of the nails lodged had pierced his stomach, caused bleeding and resulting in loss of hemoglobin," said another doctor who operated on Khan.